THE SKINNER'S

THE SKINNER'S

Monday, March 16, 2009

Breastfeeding







OK, seriously have any of you ever tried to nurse twins?? Two at the same time?? Really, it's unbelievable.....in so many different ways!
So, being the planner that I am, while I was pregnant I read everything I could get my hands on about twins, especially when it came to breastfeeding. I knew that I'd be ok if it didn't work out, but I really wanted to try so that they could have the healthiest start possible. Everything I read said to nurse them both at the same time, it's so time-saving! So out I went to buy my special "twin-nursing" pillow, I bought a chair to give me good posture while I nursed (of course I had to do that, I'm a physical therapist who treats women for neck and shoulder pain all the time when they're nursing!), I bought a manual for breast-feeding to use as a reference. I was ready. What I wasn't ready for was the two vultures who attached themselves so willingly onto my body and let go so reluctantly. I wasn't ready to have a 45 minute break between feedings in which I could rest. I wasn't ready for the soreness and pain of doing it wrong before doing it right. All my other friends seemed to be able to get it right and not be in pain, but I got to the point at 2 weeks where I would cry in pain the whole time I nursed. It was so hard. I tried using a pump, I tried nursing one at a time, I tried nipple shields......nothing seemed to help. And so, at 2 1/2 weeks I called it quits and went to formula. What a glorious thing it was! Chris lined up help for us so that the first day I was able to sleep 6 hours straight!! I was a new woman. And better yet, for the first time in a few days I wanted the babies to be awake and ready to eat. I got to talk to them and sing to them while they ate. It was exactly what I needed. Now don't get me wrong, if I ever have another baby or even if I had twins again I'd still try to nurse, I'm just saying that it wasn't happenin with these little ones! We tried, but Similac saved us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment